Cooking Safety

Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States.

Stay in the kitchen when cooking.

Wear short, close fitting or tighly rolled sleeves when cooking.

Have a 3-foot safety zone when cooking.

Never hold a child when cooking.

Keep anything that can catch fire – paper towels, oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels and curtains – away from your stove top.

Turn pot handles away from the stove’s edge. Always keep a lid nearby when you cook. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, slide the pan lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan has cooled.

Never use extension cords for cooking appliances. Plug microwave ovens or other cooking appliances directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance. Check electrical cords for cracks, breaks or damage.

If you have a fire in your microwave oven, turn it off immediately. Never open the door until the fire is out.

If you have a fire in your oven, turn it off. Let the contents cool before cleaning.

If you have a fire in your oven and the flames escape the oven, leave your home and call 911.

Keep cooking equipment clean. Clean after each use. Crumbs in a toaster or grease on the stove can catch on fire.